Early daysContinental Motorcycles was founded by Jack Reeder. He’d had a small motorcycle workshop behind a hat shop in Guildford Road, Woking. Having outgrown the space and annoyed the neighbours there he moved to new premises in Chertsey Road at the junction with Boundary Road where ‘Continentals’ was born in 1959
The 60’s were the days of mods and rockers, scooters and motorbikes. Continentals became an agent for Lambretta, Vespa, Zundapp, Maico, Rumi, Dick Dick Demm, Peugeot, Puch, N.S.U. and also Honda. These were the heady days of the Honda Cub C50 and the business boomed through the mid-sixties. However by the end of the decade things weren’t so rosy for the industry in general and, in an attempt to keep up with the times, the shop was re-branded as ‘Two Wheel Happening’ with Pepsi-Cola on tap, mood lighting, dolly girls and loud music.
The 70’s. Jack diversified into cars and set up a 4 wheel dealership in Maybury Road leaving two of his mechanics, Maurice and Bob to take over the Continental Motorcycles name. In April 1971 they moved the business from Chertsey Road to it’s current location, a former fresh fish and game shop, in Goldsworth Road. Here they continued their workshop service and traded used scooters and motorcycles. Fortunately the industry was starting to recover and business boomed once again. They began selling new machines becoming agents for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. At one point they had a double fronted shop, also occupying a showroom area where the KwikFit car park now stands.
Over the years the main focus became Honda and Yamaha until finally they decided to concentrate solely on Yamaha - hence the new name - ‘Woking Yamaha’.Maurice and Bob retired in 2002 when the business was bought by Bill Hailstone and the current chapter began. Bill’s background was in retail and he had always been a keen motorcyclist. As director of Woking Yamaha he has managed to combine business with pleasure.In 2009 we celebrated our 50th birthday and today the company is able to offer a wealth of experience to a new generation of riders in and around the Woking area from our new showroom which was significantly extended in 2016.
Circa 1929 when W. P. Seaman sold fresh fish and game from 77 Goldsworth Road